Friday, September 16, 2011

Bringing Up Baby

Bringing Up Baby is one of those films that never really gets old. It just has that great mix of comedy and drama that most everyone can appreciate. It certainly isn't a movie that makes you uncomfortable or challenges the way you think like we have been talking about in class, but it truly is an excellent film.



Despite being a box office bomb, Bringing Up Baby is now very critically acclaimed. The performances by the entire cast are stellar, but particularly Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, who are definitely two of the greatest actors of their time. There is a great dynamic between those two that is more than sufficient to carry the movie along, but it is made even better by the inclusion of other comedic characters. As far as script and plot go, it is superb. None of this 'comedy' junk we get in many new films these days. This stuff is witty and creative.

Another notable factor in Bringing Up Baby is the complete absence of a musical score (except for the opening and closing credits). I know there have been some discussions on here about the power of a film that is able to stand without a soundtrack. Actually I guess we've talked about the power of musical scores as well, but I think this is worth taking note of.

So if you haven't seen this, I would highly recommend it. They just don't make movies like this anymore....

2 comments:

  1. I love this movie! It's my favorite movie of Kate and Grant. They are a perfect comedy team! If you haven't seen Holiday, you should watch it! It's another Hepburn and Grant team up. And you're right about there not being a musical score, I've never noticed that before!

    Here's two fun facts :) Katharine Hepburn had to take many lessons from comedians because she was told she wasn't funny. And Cary Grant never shot a single scene with the live leopard because he was terrified of it. Kate would play practical jokes on Cary Grant involving the leopard through out the shoot.

    I'm so happy you posted this! I love Bringing Up Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and actually to add to those fun facts....
    Katharine Hepburn had never had a comedy role before, so considering that I think she did GREAT!
    And also, the leopard did try to attack Katharine at one point, so they really did have to be careful doing those shots. :)

    I'm glad you like the movie too; it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.