
Quick Fix
I've never quite realized how much we as audiences (though, not everyone, I'm sure) have accepted movies and even books today as "quick fixes." I think about it, and realize I do that nearly all the time; as soon as the anti piracy warnings appear on the screen, or opening a book, inherently, I'm expecting to be entertained, and that's why I turn the page or watch the screen. I may eventually become more "receptive" to the material later on, but if the plot isn't moving for too long,or the dialogue is taking up a whole chapter, I confess, I begin to get impatient. I think the fact that I've been anticipating entertainment rather than, as Prof. Leeper put it, a "conversation," in itself needs to change before I can view a movie or read a book for what it is and not only what I expect. From what I understand, though, it doesn't seem like too many popular filmmakers or authors even want to have that conversation. The trend is to cater to what the audience tends to take a liking too; for instance, someone in an earlier blog mentioned their presumption about the movie "Priest" looking like an attempt to sort of piggy-back off the twilight series vampire angle. It wasn't the case, but the fact that we expect or would assume that this was the intent says that we've seen it before: One movie or book does well and all of a sudden five other books or films are made just like it. What that says to me about the producers of that is they want to be successful in making profit from their work, so they jump on the bandwagon that's trendy for the time being and hope they get just as lucky. It's not done to communicate, or connect or with the intent of making art regardless of who agrees or likes it, but a means to an end of profit, a business,or an industry. But, those can speak to someone as well, like the Virgin Mary book that was initially seemingly "religious propaganda" (or something to that effect) but was actually very moving because of the meaning given to it, or maybe gotten from it by the woman who read it. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing. I know that's probably not an absolute,( not all movies or books that are popular are done just to cater to the audience's whims) but what would the qualifications for exceptions be ? Or, maybe it depends upon the "reader" of the work, whether they're good or bad readers. What do you guys think?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.