A movie that I saw a while ago that I really enjoyed is an Italian film called "Life is Beautiful". It's about a quirky Italian Jewish man named Guido who does everything he can to get his family through the Holocaust safely. The film starts out showing us how Guido found the woman of his dreams (Dora) and through many comedic mishaps finally won over her affection. The two settle down together and start a family. They have a son named Giosué. Then the Holocaust begins when Giosué is probably 6 or 7. The family is taken to a concentration camp. Amidst the horrors of the concentration camp, Guido bravely does all that he can to keep Giosué from knowing what is really happening. He pretends that it is all a game and that at the end, they will all go home with the winner getting a prize. It is both comical and painful to watch because of the seriousness of the situation combined with Guido's light-hearted demeanor. I don't think I'll say too much more about it to avoid giving away spoilers but this is a fantastic film. It really pulled me in. It's one of those movies that makes you feel really connected with the characters even though you can't even understand what they're saying (it's subtitled in English, though). I'd highly recommend it.
This is a clip from the movie. It takes place when Guido and his family first arrive at the concentration camp. I'll post the trailer too but it's a little corny so yeah.
I saw the movie about a week before I went to college. It was very good. Funny too. I loved the scene where the German officer is shouting orders to the prisoners and Guido is yelling game instructions. The title, at least for me, evoked some cynicism. The movie contained both comedy and tragedy, but nothing really points to life being beautiful. The movie seemed to relate more to the triumph of the human spirit in dire circumstances.
I saw the movie about a week before I went to college. It was very good. Funny too. I loved the scene where the German officer is shouting orders to the prisoners and Guido is yelling game instructions. The title, at least for me, evoked some cynicism. The movie contained both comedy and tragedy, but nothing really points to life being beautiful. The movie seemed to relate more to the triumph of the human spirit in dire circumstances.
ReplyDelete