Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sellout

I like music. Alot. Now, I can not read notes to save my life. And I can not play a single instrument (though I'd really like to learn acoustic guitar. At least enough to play my favorite songs.) But my Zune (They're really obscure. You probably haven't heard of it.) is one of my most treasured possessions. It has all my music on it, from popular stuff to slightly hipster stuff, to the couple random Disney songs I still love deeply, to the random stuff I heard once and fell in love with.

One artist I love and listen to alot, (Who has a new album coming out this month!!! So! Very! Excited!) is NeverShoutNever. He used to be something only hipster's listened to, but now most of the people I know know who he is. I love him and his music and his style and his humor.

One song in particular always hits me as profound. It's called Sellout. I don't know if anyone's heard it, loved it, hated it, bought the shirt, but I love it. It talks about selling out ones art to make a living. And he's sick of it. My favorite part is when he says, "I'm sick of imagery instead of artistry, I'm sick of apathy instead of harmony, I'm sick of poet's working part time jobs while pissy people pick and choose the stars." Because you know, if who was popular/famous was based solely on talent, Christina Grimmie would be known everywhere instead of Rebecca Black.
The Summer Set would be as well known as Ke$ha. (Though I do like Ke$ha.... Don't judge me.) And Shawyze would be up there Snoop Dog. But they're aren't. They all have they're fan base here and there. The internet. Arizona. Me.
I've always thought of my drawrings as mine. They show what I'm thinking of, what I like, even my favorite colors to an extent. And I hate the thought of selling out even a tiny bit. I really dislike even the thought of buying into a trend after it becomes huge. (Except for those feathers that go into one's hair, but I just love feathers in general...)

So here's the song, I hope the video works....



2 comments:

  1. You know if we could be happy making what we need with our art instead of needing to make it big things might be different....but we love our superstars and it seems that everybody wants to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so silly to want to be famous, at least to me.

    Makes me want to move to Dinotopia...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.