Monday, September 12, 2011

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


Spent tonight indulging in one of my favorite musicals/films of all time, Sweeney Todd. Just wanted to share with you all why I love this film. First, I love a film with an established color story. I don't know what it is but when colors, exposure, and contrast is consistent in a film, I am happy and I feel like the movie is more put together (One of the many reasons why I love Tim Burton's films for their consistently dark atmosphere). But this particular film speaks out to me in the fact that the world is cruel and Stephen Sondheim and John Logan realized this and put it down into the best way they knew how. I also love it cause it is an outlier from the normal happy-go-lucky musical. There is a dark, twisted aura that emanates through the lyrics and the dialogue, not to mention the violence and gore. Although meaningless and completely absurd the violence can be in this movie it visualizes and tries to evoke emotion and sympathy towards injustice. Not only that but it shows us that we as the heroes of our own epics are capable of just as much cruelty and that we can lose ourselves often times if we are not careful causing us to lose everything we love. Its kind of farfetched I get that but at the same time I know that to be truth in this life and thus respect and hold up this paradigm of artistic drama. I cannot wait to get my hands dirty in some of this stuff and start penetrating our society and culture whilst at the same time entertaining and making a beautiful sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.