At first I thought it was not as deep as I was expecting it too be, but after the discussion i think it really was deep, just not in the way that makes you feel like your head is spinning (which was nice).
Thoughts not mentioned in the discussion:
(1) I like how Bergman on the one had showed the social change in Sweden through his different generations of characters, but at the same time showed that they all struggled with the same things - that being with questions like is there a God, and how to deal with cold people and being a cold person yourself, for example
(2) Isak Berg is not that different from Ingmar Bergman - another testimony to the autobiographicallness of the film.
(3) I also noticed that there wasn't a distinct turning point in the story that I can remeber. Instead, it seemed that the whole movie is Isak was being chipped away at and in the end he was a different person. It seemed so natural that I almost forgot how he got there. Perhaps the turning point was when Marriame told Isak about her conversation with Egvald. But still, there was something about whole transition that felt very natural.
This is the first film that I've watched in a while with a happy ending that I am ok with being happy. I don't know why. Maybe because Bergman doesn't show that everything is "fixed" persay, but does seem to elude to the fact that things are headed in a better direction than they were before. And he doesn't tell the reader the "right" way to think: he doesn't conclude if there is a God or not, and what he would be like. The only thing he does seem to say is that having relationships with people is good. So, it ends happy, but doesn't choke out the desire to keep thinking about the story. In a way, I think it actually provokes it even more than a dark ending would.
Well, that's it for now. If you've haven't seen it yet you should.... it's good :)
Well put Megan,
ReplyDeleteThere is sooo much I keep thinking about in this film. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that this was Bergman's intentional response to Dicken's Christmas Carol. Right down to the three visitations.