Mamihlapinatapei
Yagan (indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego) – “the wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to initiate something but are both reluctant to start”
You've don't this right? I have. I know I've seen it in films. Mostly in romance, but I suppose it's possible in many other situations. It's that palpable tension that leaves you yearning for something more and that is something great to stir up in audiences.
Cafuné
Brazilian Portuguese – “The act of tenderly running one’s fingers through someone’s hair
This is such a great feeling. It doesn't really have to do with film, I just wanted to point out how great this word is. I love when people run their fingers through my hair. It's one of the best feelings I've known.
L’appel du vide
French – “The call of the void” is this French expression’s literal translation, but more significantly it’s used to describe the instinctive urge to jump from high places.
I visited the Grand Canyon once, and I get this jump inside me and think, "Oh, I hope I don't jump." And it's not that I'm afraid I'm going to slip and fall, but that I will just jump. I'm glad other people have felt this too, even if it's the French. just kidding.
Ya’aburnee
Arabic – Both morbid and beautiful at once, this incantatory word means “You bury me,” a declaration of one’s hope that they’ll die before another person because of how difficult it would be to live without them.
This is my favorite. I've always said that when I get married, there will be one condition: I get to die first. Now I have a real word to say.
Mamihlapinatapei could be used to describe a lot of the scenes in 'Drive'.
ReplyDelete