Monday, November 14, 2011

Gay Boyfriend Vs. Baby Got Book

First off, I'd like to say that I didn't mind the video being shown in class and am not opposed to Leeper's choice to have us view it.  But what I don't quite understand is his logic behind his comparison of the video to baby got book.  He claimed that gay boyfriend was merely two girls musing about what they'd like in a man or what it would be like to have a gay boyfriend and some of the stereotypical qualities that are usually associated with homosexuals.  According to Leeper, baby got book is simply a youth pastor telling us what he wants in a woman and thus just as bad as the original song.

The thing that I can't quite grasp is where the argument lies here?  I see both videos as fundamentally the same.  While in baby got book that pastor is in fact laying out what he would like to see in his woman, aren't the two girls doing the same thing?  Sure, they aren't being as direct as he is, as they are only "musing" as Leeper put it.  But in the end, both videos are about individuals who want something from their partners of the opposite sex.  One wants them to be into God and the Bible etc, etc.  And the other wants their partner to like to shop for tight pants, not care about their partner's weight, like romantic comedies, etc.

Maybe its just me, but I find both of these shorts to be doing the same thing, only with different ideas. The only differences in method that I see is, as I said, how direct they are.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.