
I wanted to do this post because I have had stop motion movies on my mind lately. I know I'm a live-action major but I still have a very high appreciation of films like Wallace & Gromit, Chicken Run, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. In fact,this week I'm planning on watching Fantastic Mr. Fox. I haven't seen it yet but I am stoked! I am really looking forward to it. I have only heard good things and after watching the trailer I was very intrigued by the style.
I know alot of people think stop motion movies are annoying and outdated but I really really like them (which is one of the reasons I thought The Stain was so good). Many would say we have moved on from this form of animation into "greater" mediums like CG but, like Leeper said in class, so many 3D animation films have been made and we have seen so many that it might be time to return to older forms while we are exploring this new technology. Just because its the newest style available, doesn't mean its better than all other choices. This is why Disney released the 2D animation feature The Princess and the Frog in 2009 and why Laika Entertainment continues to make claymations like the Corpse Bride and Coraline. Theres nothing wrong with these mediums, several people just have blinders on. Its not that I don't like 3D animation, I love it. I just think commercialism is telling us the focus is on 3D animation.
There are two stop motion films coming out next year that I am really looking forward to watching. The first is from Aardman (creators of Wallace & Gromit and Chicken Run), and is titled ThePirates! Band of Misfits. The second one is from Laika (the company I mentioned above) and is called ParaNorman. Both of these films look great and I encourage you to watch the trailers. I'm also interested in seeing Tim Burton's feature length adaptation of his famous short Frankenweenie next year. I saw the short a little while back and thought it was pretty good. I would have to say I'm looking forward to ParaNorman and The Pirates! Band of Misfits more though.
There are two stop motion films coming out next year that I am really looking forward to watching. The first is from Aardman (creators of Wallace & Gromit and Chicken Run), and is titled ThePirates! Band of Misfits. The second one is from Laika (the company I mentioned above) and is called ParaNorman. Both of these films look great and I encourage you to watch the trailers. I'm also interested in seeing Tim Burton's feature length adaptation of his famous short Frankenweenie next year. I saw the short a little while back and thought it was pretty good. I would have to say I'm looking forward to ParaNorman and The Pirates! Band of Misfits more though.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.