2: "One more person" from Schindler's List
http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/schindlers-list/one-more-person
Since the stupid internet doesn't have the whole scene, I had to post the link instead. Rats.
Even though I had already sat through three hours of horrifying images, it was this wrap-up scene at the end of the movie that emotionally gutted me the most. (It was weird, I didn't cry, but my insides got ripped to pieces).
In summary, this scene is about Schindler having to go into hiding since the war is over and he was technically exploiting the Jews for slave labor in order to keep them out of the concentration camps.
What I like about this scene is how non-utilitarian it is. Schindler has saved over 1100 Jews from death, but he still weeps that he didn't get one more person out. I was reminded of a quote I heard a while back from a man I personally don't like, Joesph Stalin, where Stalin said, "You murder one person, it's a tragedy. You murder a million people, it's a statistic." I found there was some truth in this statement. Why is it that when I hear of one death, I think of that person's family members, friends, and back-story, but when I hear of six million deaths, I see just a number? Why can't I see fully-formed people made in God's image behind the number? I actually paced the campus for about an hour after I finished the movie trying to figure this out.
Anyway, that's what makes this scene so good: the fact that Schindler has saved so many people, but the fact that he didn't save just one more uniquely-made human being breaks his heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.