
My initial action upon finishing this film: overwhelmed with sadness and disgusted at human nature to the extent of nausea. I find it horrifying how we as a race can do this to one another. Yet, honestly, the very first thought following my shocked response was thinking "God, how can you let things like this happen?" I simply don't understand. And I know I'm not meant to, nor anyone else. But frankly, it just blows my mind. I think this is a movie every one of us needs to watch. Joy is very important in life, and obviously I LOVE being happy-who doesn't. Yet, it is also vital that we open our eyes to the terrible tragedies occurring all around us, for if we don't they will continue to be repeated. But what makes me even more disheartened... what if they continue to carry on despite our prior knowledge of similar events having already occurred within the past? That, my friends, would be a prime example of human nature's capacity for evil and the acceptance of such.
I am very glad the documentary was animated. If it was stop-motion, I most definitely would not have been capable of making it through the entire movie. This being because my brain would not have been able to process the disturbing images. In fact, even some of the animated images were too disturbing for me to even glance at for more than a second. This being said, I need to confess that yes, I would still rather pretend that the world is filled with gumdrops and fairies and that everyone loves everyone. So in essence, I am extremely disturbed at the idea that we can do such violent and terrible things to one another.
The ending transforming from animation to stop-motion brought me back to reality. I have no words at all to express the sadness I feel for the brokenness existent within our world. The bodies piled up like firewood.... All I could think was what about their story? They, just like you and I, had big hopes and exciting dreams about a prosperous future, they dealt with sadness and maybe-we'd like to imagine-experienced happiness at one time or another. Is this just not the best example (along with that of the Holocaust) of how life isn't fair?
As for the art itself, the technique, characters, and fluidness of motion reminded me a lot of many of the war video games my younger brother plays. Also, I realize how those involved with playing violent games may not have been impacted at the level that I was because the graphic depictions of death and suffering seem so similar to that of a game.
I am glad I went to this and to sum this night up, am completely disgusted with my very own kind.
I hear you Bridget. Fortunately tragedy is only the first part of the Gospel and not the last. I choose to believe there is room for healing in this world but right now it seems that that religious people are too caught up in power struggles and revenge to the healing force that God has called us to. How sad.
ReplyDelete