Monday, November 14, 2011

World of Glory



I was kind of mad that we watched the "World of Glory," movie, to be honest. I watched Schindler's List Junior year, and I was just as upset watching that long movie as watching this 15 minute one. It practically made me cry; even after I left the class, I felt my eyes getting warm and almost tearing up. I was so angry watching the first scene with the truck and knowing that all those people standing there were watching with me, but had no inclination to stop what they were themselves doing. At first I was so bitter towards those in the first scene, but as the narrator continued to lifelessly talk , sadness was mixed in with the anger so that it wasn't
directed at him or the others anymore; because they were apart of the tragedy- they were dead too, and were not allowed to move on after that event (e.g. the narrator hearing screaming in the night.) Though they were not actually there, as we talked about later, that guilt is passed on to and carried by them. They're literally dwelling in that condemnation, and I think it may be best seen in the Eucharist scene. It's also interesting that they continued to look at the audience through the camera. Maybe as if to watch for our reactions to what they say and do? Maybe to see if we are accusing them for anything, as a kid does when telling his parents he did something wrong? Either way, there's that deep, stoic
anxiety that is translated on the screen, and it's really depressing to see that saturate the lives of those in the film. The worst part of evil acts is when the acts are both committed by and inflicted upon people, because both become victims of the evil. (I'm also wondering about when the narrator thought he was blind, what the significance behind that was...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.