Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Buried


I was thoroughly impressed with Buried. I watched it for the first time this week and during the entire movie was waiting for the moment when Ryan Reynold’s character, Paul Conroy, was unburied. But 3/4 of the way though and he was still in the box (I won't spoil the ending for anyone). It was just amazing that for such a long period of the movie they used one small set. I imagine there were times when it proved to be difficult - they probably had multiple boxes for different angles/shots, but it seemed so simple and yet I never was bored watching it. I thought it was really interesting how throughout the movie Conroy used several different light sources. The cellphone was created a blue light, the glow stick was green, the flashlight was orange and red, and the lighter created a yellow light. Small little changes in the scene made it continuously interesting visually. I think without this sort of effect on the lighting the coffin would have quickly become a boring set. I read that the movie was shot in 17 days total. I feel like you have to really know how to tell a story to be able to take a movie like this and have it capture the audience. I felt anxiety, and suspense, and I was drawn in the entire time. The budget was less than two million dollars. This is good filmmaking. Taking something minimalistic and creating a great film out of it. I really enjoyed buried.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this movie was really unique! The fact that the whole film is shot in a tiny little box is fascinating! Ryan Reynold's did a great job being the only actor in the movie! He made me feel claustrophobic multiple times throughout the movie. I don't really know what I think about the ending though. But overall it was an interesting movie!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.