Monday, December 5, 2011

Inseparable



Thanks for sharing this, Miles. It was definitely worth our time to see it. I did have a couple of observations that I'd like to share. I totally understand the impression that the second brother is a complete bum who gets a second chance at life. But another possibility occurred to me. This may be a stretch, so bear with me. Perhaps it is possible that both brothers were previously aware of the first brother's affliction at an earlier stage. While the first brother is living out his life, the other brother wants to do what he can do help. He's no doctor, but he can try to get some money together. Obviously, he'd need a lot. So he starts to gamble. He gets in deep with the loan sharks. But regardless of his success (or lack thereof), the brothers run out of time; the condition is terminal. In the first scenario where the brother is the lost, broken man who gets a second chance, that gives a pretty clear scriptural image. I'd say that same potential exists with what I've postulated. After all, when Jesus is in trouble as he is about to be arrested in the garden, Peter wants to help, so he does what he thinks will do so; he attacks the servant of the high priest. It wasn't a smart decision, but you can't say that his motives were selfish. His course of action was just misguided, which I think could work in this film, and once the brothers realize there's nothing left to be done, then they decide to switch places. I don't know, it was just an idea that occurred to me. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.