12.) Saving Private Ryan - Omaha Beach by John Williams
Saving Private Ryan is, I think, one of the most powerful films to be made in the past two decades. I remember the first time I saw it, my dad made me and my brothers and sisters sit down and watch it, because he wanted us to understand what it was like for soldiers who had fought for us. I'm sure my mom wasn't too thrilled about it, seeing as it's an "R" rated film, but we watched it anyways. We skipped some of the more lewd parts, but we watched all the violent bits, not because somehow we believe violence is okay, but because it realistically portrayed for us what these men had to endure, and that was important to my dad, esp. since he is an ex-marine. John Williams score perfectly underlines the film, in my opinion. It's not overly complex, but it works well that way. It also introduces a lot of classic "war" music elements without overdoing it. I think it's a delicate balance and Mr. Williams struck it well. Totally moving piece of music.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.