Monday, December 5, 2011

Tunak Tunak Tun




It's funny how many times I've seen this video here in the US. Never before had I ever seen this video, Even in India! Anywhere I go someone somehow brings it up and we'll both have a good laugh. I do find this video extremely lame and cheesy and really hilarious! However this video has no connection to Bollywood! As many people like to believe.
Music Videos made here in america usually have no connection to hollywood. So why is this video assumed to have connections with Bollywood?
I figured maybe because of the dancing!, Horrible editing etc.
So over the next few blogs I shall reveal to you more about the Indian Movie industry starting with the video, Tunak Tunak Tun.

The Dancer in the video is also the artist of the song played in the background. His name is Daler Mendhi, A very popular artist in North India, particularly in the state of Punjab(Where I live!)
His music was really famous during the 90's and early 21st century. His music was being played almost everywhere!
The music video 'Tunak Tunak Tun' was made as a response to critics who complained that Mehndi's music was only popular due to his videos that featured beautiful women dancing.
So Daler Mendhi decided to make a music video with only himself in it.
The video was an instant hit all over North India. The video had a lot odd concepts and horrible effects, but 'special effects' like that were actually a 'new thing' in india when this music video was made back in 1998. Unlike here people actually took the video seriously!

Music Videos made in North India nowadays are much different, and an example is the video below. It just came out last year in Punjab. Like Daler Mendhi's song 'Tunak Tunak Tun' the song in the video below was an instant hit in North India.






It might not be anything great, but it goes to show that we have moved on from the 'Tunak Tunak Tun' era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.