Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Another Dimension

In this post I'd like to address a certain element in many films these days which is now being used more than ever, and that is 3D. This phase really exploded with the release of Avatar, and everyone started raving about 3D. So I decided to experience it for myself. After watching Avatar in 3D, I'll admit I thought it was kinda cool, but mainly I felt underwhelmed and slightly disappointed. And apparently Avatar is one of the 'best' 3D movies yet. I honestly expected more in terms of shape, but to me it just looked like depth, and the layers looked like cardboard cutouts. Since then I've never really had any desire to watch another movie in 3D.



But the real thing I wanted to talk about is the necessity of and motive behind 3D. First of all, I feel like 3D is mainly a moneymaker. Once Avatar hit the jackpot, a large number of filmmakers and/or production companies decided to follow suit. And now we've got 3D movies being released left and right, whether it was originally shot that way, or if it got that crappy conversion job (ex: I heard Clash of the Titans in 3D was awful). I did not see anything about 3D that stuck out to me as a boost for the filmmakers' creativity or art form. It just seemed like a filler. And a great way to boost ticket sales as well. I'm know I'm being very skeptical of this, but I'd really like to hear what you guys think also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.