Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bad/Good


Prof. Leeper's lecture today was the best lecture/conversation/discussion I have ever had in a school setting. Being a young man, only spending 18 years on the planet Earth, I don't know much. That is why we have lovely teachers in life like Prof. Leeper.

I don't know where to start about the discussion today. The conversation on the 'Language' blog or the 'Good vs Bad' reader lecture. The whole experience was lovely. But i will decide to talk about the 'Good vs Bad' reader lecture.

When I talk to my friends (non film students) about movies I find I have a total different outlook on movie. As Prof. Leeper said one needs to receive the movie, not go in looking for something that might not be there. Many of my friends seem to view movies in this way. They go to movie like this:

And find it the best hing that has come out all year and i look at it and just shake my head. I would maybe understand if they explained why it was such a great film (or movie to them), but they can't ever explain in an educated way. But who knows, they could possibly feel the same way Leeper's friend did about the 'Mary Book'. This could be a movie that just moves them and they need it for there lives. But normally I don't get that from movies like this. They don't desire to view over and over, to receive all they can from the film. It is like they are viewing the movie blind. They watch it for the escape/action fight scenes.

Leeper's Lecture today laid out the difference between a Good reader (or viewer) and a Bad one. It was so intriguing to me. I know that I I do slip onto the Bad side quiet a bit with movies but it is something I have wanted to change for quite a while now.

Secondly the 2nd thing that made the greatest impact on me today in class is when Leaper said he can't converse with 'Scorsese and Tarantino'. Not just the fact that he chooses not to watch there films anymore because of the nature of the films and how they have let go and for lack of a better term 'RUN WILD' with there film making. But for the fact that when he is viewing a movie, as he stated with 'American Beauty' he has to be sure that the director put forth a good effort into the subject at hand and didn't just run crazy with the subject and make a nasty film. This made me understand touchy subjects in film a totally different way now. After the class I wanted to watch all the movies I have ever seen to see them with new eyes!

I hope this all made sense to you who is reading. I couldn't type out my thoughts as well as I wanted to. But I'd like to hear about what you thought about Leeper's lecture!

1 comment:

  1. I think most movie goers are going in and watching the movie blind. Most of the people I know go for the temporary high they get from action/fighting awesome scenes. I've felt kind of overwhelmed by all the people who talk about watching a movie and having a craving to know how it was done and how they can do that. I mean, I like knowing how it's done, and I enjoy doing that kind of stuff, but I tend to just get lost in the film. Even if it's a bad movie or a good film. But after hearing the lecture, I want to go and watch some of my favorites too, and see if I understand them differently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.