Hello everyone. My name is Mathis Glover and I am majoring in Film Production. It's very hard for me to explain exactly where this passion for filmmaking came from but I'll explain it as best I can. Ever since I was about six years old, I have loved movies. Certain films were like an obsession for me- I would watch them over and over again. This extreme appreciation for films has existed in me for quite some time now and through the years I have become a fanatic of sorts of movies.
My parents knew how much I loved the movie business so when I turned twelve, they bought me my first video camera. I was very cheap and had few capabilities but I loved it. With this camera, I began to film whatever popped in to my mind. Then I discovered windows movie maker and learned the essentials of the program so I could edit different things I shot. This quickly lead me to making little shorts here and there which are awesome memories from my childhood, probably because I wasn't able to shoot as much once I made it to high school. Workloads and responsibilities upgraded and free time dissolved away.
During high school, I tried my best to keep working with cameras, props, and actors but I had to adapt to my situation and began studying the art and craft of film. I filled my head with information regarding different cameras the pros use, more advanced editing software, the process of film production (from script to post production), and the most important aspect of all, the purpose and reason for making films. Around my junior year of high school I started thinking about what I was going to do once I was done with school. I began to pray that God would reveal my path in life during those last two years in school. The beginning of my senior year, I discovered how people from all over are taking a stand in this medium and reclaiming it for the glory of God. I thought the concept was great and began to ask myself: 'Could I ever be a part of this group, of this idea?' So then my prayer developed and I was specifically wondering and praying if God's plan was to work through me in the film industry. I realized God wanted me to use this talent for Him and began looking for a college that could help me accomplish this. And now, I'm at HU and I can't wait for all the great things to this year in the DMA Department.
Three of the films I obsessed over, and still do obsess over, are the Star Wars movies of the original trilogy. My favorite one is The Empire Strikes Back, which is why I chose it as my picture. I also like several works from Martin Scrosese, Joss Whedon, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Robert Zemeckis, George Lucas, Clint Eastwood, (early) M. Night Shyamalan, J.J. Abrams, Danny Boyle, Rob Reiner, Irvin Kershner (the Director of The Empire Strikes Back), Guillermo Del Toro, and the Coen Brothers.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.