Monday, September 12, 2011
Ducks in a row?
Indeed, if the Bible is the written Word of God, then it must have all of the answers. Really? It is often presumed in a believer, and surprisingly more so among recent converts, a false sense of piety. We believe that for some reason, because we have committed our hearts to the Son of God and are redeemed by His blood, we are also given the infinite wisdom of all things under Heaven. I thinks C.S. Lewis put it something like this: "If you're an ignorant pagan, you'll probably convert into an ignorant Christian." I am going to venture to say that we have only really been given ONE answer, and to claim to know more than that is appointing ourselves to a seat of judgement that we have no business sitting on. To claim knowledge in all aspects of life is probably what turns away more people from us. I mean, we don't even have a degree in philosophy, how can we claim to have proper and in depth knowledge in such things as the divine Will of God. It is like Prof. Leeper said last week when we listened to song about the girl who got raped in an alley. What do you say to such a thing?! Can you honestly say in your heart of Hearts that you could give an accurate answer of why a Loving God would allow such an event to take place. You might be saying, "Yes Miles, I fully understand God's Will and I have a verse handy that deals with such an issue.." But ask yourself this, could you be so sure of it as to go and tell the victim what you believed was the Will of God. I certainly couldn't. Like Prof. Leeper said, the best answer is silence. I think if one is truly to become a Christian they should get off our pulpit of piety and realize the humility of our ignorance and learn to accept it. If not we're playing God and we don't have the Holy feet to fill those boots. We are just as broken and messed up as the next person, the only difference as Christians should be that we finally realize it.
Labels:
MilesAllen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being a Christian means accepting what happens and clinging to the belief that whatever horrible thing that has happened, happened for a reason. But what reasoning is behind the raping of an innocent girl in an alley? And why do the good people in the world die out of the blue at age 25 and some terrorist who has killed millions last into their 90's? Could living as a Christian simply mean acknowledging the fact that life is not fair? Only those who care about their own well being (who I would consider an ignorant and selfish person) can live in this world feeling like life is fair and attempt to understand why God does things the way he does. Everyone else exists in a far away land called reality where glimpses of what we can consider hell appear all the time everywhere.
ReplyDeleteAgreed :)
ReplyDelete