I was just thinking about all the quality films out there, and then I started thinking about some of the crap I choose to watch instead. Here's a list of movies that, in all honesty, I should hate but like anyways.
UHF
Good Burger
Chairman of the Board
These movies are stupid. Their humor is base and the acting is sub par at best. The stories are pretty dumb. I still like them though. If I catch them on TV I will watch them. I can't explain this. I know there are better ways to spend my time.
Also,
Independence Day
Armageddon
I think these two are great examples of how story, character, and tone can help a movie overcome a lot of logic problems. These two make no sense when you actually think about them. Still, I like them.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI made some spelling mistakes in my last comment, so I'll try to do better this time.
ReplyDeleteI did not like Independence Day. All the characters were cut-out cliches and I didn't really care about them. These are the same reasons I hated Avatar. Sure, both these movies have good spectacle, but I couldn't care less about the people I'm suppose to take the journey with. Why is it that today's movies can give us spectacle, but not good, three-dimensional characters. "The Lord of the Rings" did it. There was great spectacle in this trilogy, but it was powered by the human stories. You'd think more people would get that.
Avatar is pretty one dimensional, but I don't hate it. I do, however, hate the Transformers movies. See...by all rights I should hate anything on par with the transformers movies (big explosion movies with no intelligence) but a couple still manage to make it into my DVD collection. Maybe it has something to do with the time frame you watch them in. As a kid it's easy to like anything. Hell, as a kid I liked Batman Forever. Why? It had Batman, and that was all I needed. In any case, I don't care who it is, there's a dumb movie they can't bring themselves to hate.
ReplyDelete