Monday, September 12, 2011

What I enjoyed in 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?'

Hi everyone. Last thursday was the first signs and wonders. Those that stayed to watch the film experienced the first Coen Brothers film to be played in the line up for the semester. I realize a few people have talked about 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' already but there are a few things about the film that haven't been mentioned. I found the movie to be great because of these few things and I want to share with everyone what they were.
First of all, theres a unique method behind the soundtrack of the film. Out of the many movies I've seen, most films have had either a score from an orchestra made or have popular song titles playing throughout the film. 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' would fall in a category that trys something a little different, breaking from the mold. I believe this different style is effective and works very well. Having the actors of the film singing songs that portray the mood the Coen Brothers are aiming for is fantastic. I only wish more directors would try it. But, on the other hand, how great would the music system of this film by if everyone was using it?

Another thing I really enjoyed in this movie was the reverse social positions of different characters in the film. By that, I simply mean those that are the villians- the evil doers- live a happy and wealthy life while Everett, Pete, and Delmar, the main characters, who have established a very innocent and lovable personality on the screen are the ones escaping from jail. It is a very interesting and entertianing aspect of the film.
I also love how justice fell on many of the characters. Big Dan Teaque (The Cyclops), play by John Goodman, is hit by the burning cross of the KKK. Homer Stokes, the reformist, running for governor losses his followers and tradition is upheld by the returning governor. George Nelson, the bank robber, is sent to the electric chair and is actually filled with joy by his destined exit from the world. These and other conclusions in the film were quirky and I think thats why I really enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.