So I'm super psyched about this department. Meetings like last night usually don't get me too excited, but we have so many smart people that know what they're doing teaching us, and too much cool shit to work with not to make awesome movies. I'm excited to get going.
The other night, a kid on my floor and I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It was really good! The cinematography was done by the same people that did "Lord of the Rings" so there were a lot of great camera movements and panoramic shots. Andy Serkis (who played Gollum) also played Caesar, the main chimpanzee in the movie. He and James Franco (one of my favorite actors) made a great team. And the storyline was extremely captivating.
Franco said that they made this movie as kind of a warning to modern science regarding where the limit is.
One thing I've been wondering about (and this is a question that I'm sure will be answered) is what kind of job I could potentially have with this major. Would I have to work in California to make good money? If I wasn't in Cali, would I have to be a professor to make good money? Not that I would hate living in California, but I've never been the type of guy who is comfortable being limited to one option.
I can answer the one about being a professor and making good money. :)
ReplyDeleteCertain kinds of films/budgets (like the Apes film) need the kind of infrastructure the in the past only Hollywood could provide. This is starting to change as studios around the world and even in the Midwest.
However, what can be done with a cell phone and a laptop these days is radically changing the landscape.
My suggestion is to push the toys, faculty, and (most importantly)yourself as hard as you can over the next four years and you'll know a lot more about where you need to be and what prospects will be available.
Professor,
ReplyDeleteI'd like to talk to you more about this and some other stuff sometime soon, but I always have to dash after class to make it over to Loew-Brenn on time. Hopefully we can work something out soon.