Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Priest


This movie grabbed my attention the moment I saw Paul Bettany was the main character. Paul is an actor I've appriciated since his performance as Dustfinger in Inkheart, so I've been very interested to see him in other movies, and I was very glad he got this lead role.
     Priest is a movie that, at first glance, appears to be another vampire movie created to appeal to Twilight's fans (Which it seems that everyone in the media has been doing since Twilight became popular), but it actually was incredibly different.
     And what made it unique was that the church was deeply involved in the plot. In the story, the church actually created the group of Priests, who were warriors trained to kill vampires (who were at war with the humans).
     While the main plot centers on the main character (Paul Bettany), who was simply called Priest, and a young man named Hicks' (played by Cam Gigandet) journey to retrieve Priest's kidnapped niece (Lily Collins), one particular part that I found interesting was how the church behaved.
     The church just was astonishing. Only way I can put it. They were so manipulative, so focused on intimidating you, that even while watching, far, far, faaarrrr away in my living room, I was convinced that I had to do what they said. And it was amazing to me to watch how they did things, in the sense that they were really no better than the vampires in ways of cruelty. Very eye-opening for me, definitely.
     The setting of the story gave a very apocalyptic aura in the world's barrenness, and the colorization was very much like Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street in that it was very dark and moody. The vampires were also unique. It was kinda obvious that they were a bunch of people in green screen suits, but hey, I'd love to have those guys' job! ^_^ Their appearance in themselves was very different and unusual. No sparking in this movie, folks!
           All in all, I think this movie stands well on its own, and it was enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.