Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Recreation of War

I was thinking yesterday during classes when someone mentioned 9/11 and it made me realize something. Since war is so terrible and sad, why do filmmakers recreate them in movies? I have yet to actually watch a whole movie that revolves around a war (unless you count the 15 or so minutes that is shown in Forest Gump). I have seen bits and pieces but I can't make myself sit through a whole film of fighting. 


I've heard from many people how great some of these movies are, like Pearl Harbor. 
Everybody knows the story of what happened on that December day, but who wants to recreate that image in the people's heads who have already lived through it? 
I guess I cant give a full opinion like others could since I tend to not like violent movies, but it's hard to understand why people would want to sit in a movie theater to watch the recreation of a terrible event in history. I share the same feelings on the movie Titanic, but that's a whole other story. 


Do filmmakers do this just to make money off of a tragic event? Or is it for the people who don't fully understand how tragic the event really was.  Either way, I truly hope they do not make a movie on 9/11 in the future. Anyone share the same thoughts? I want to hear what you have to say! :)

8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Pearl Harbor, but regarding other movies that focus on war, I think it really could go both ways. I personally enjoy war movies, and some are excellent portrayals of actual events, while some are simply gratuitous and use violence as a shock factor. I know for me, when I watched Saving Private Ryan, it helped me better appreciate what our troops go through during war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I agree with Nathan! I find that movies can educate one very well about different moments in history, including war. And Pearl Harbor is one of my favorites! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also they have made movies on 9/11.
    World Trade Center and Flight 93 to name a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know they made movies on 9/11! Obviously, I haven't watched them...wow...that's kind of terrible in my opinion, but I also haven't seen them so I guess I can't say too many bad things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grant, there is a tv movie called Flight 93, but there was also a movie called United 93. Not sure which one you were referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IDK haven't seen the 93 movies either, I saw World Trade Center though. Also why should we run from the history of the past. Everyone living at the time experienced something. I don't find it wrong by any means to make a movie on that event or any other historical moment. There are many things you can learn from these movies based on real events. These events were very real to allot of us. What is the difference between writing a book and making a movie? Also photographs were taken of both 9/11 and WWII, we saw the events laid out in the photos and documentaries. I find that there is nothing wrong with making movies on our very real history, no matter how traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. true...I didn't think about the book part of it...but movies tend to appeal to more people, especially since it's easier and quicker than reading a book.

    When I think about the people who have already dealt with the war, I feel bad so I don't fully understand why it needs to be recreated. That'd be hard...but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.