I just wanted to address something I see a lot now. Every indy filmmaker seems to enchanted with the Red camera. It's a nice piece of hardware, yes, and if I had one I wouldn't complain. What I have a problem with is how this fascination seems to be enabling this bad habit filmmakers seem to have for putting things off until they have the ultimate this or that. I remember when it was the dvx 100s. I'd hear, "If only I had a dvx, then I could make my movie." Then that was replaced by the dvx 100Bs. Suddenly they couldn't make their movie because the 100B was high def and who would make a movie that isn't high def. Then it turned into the DSLRs like the Canon 5D. Now it's the Red. "If only we had a Red, then we could make our movies."
Stop it! Nobody cares if it's high def, or low def, or single frames painted with dog poop. And if you've been making films for a while please watch yourself and how you drool over new equipment. There are some here who have barely touched a camera before. So they're unsteady and prone to putting things off, because you can't fail if you don't take that first step.
I care if it is HD! If a movie or video is in HD I am much more likely to watch it!
ReplyDeleteI have worked with a man who makes documentaries out of his home. It took him a long time to buy all his equipment and he's still upgrading, but the quality of his documentaries is pretty good even though his equipment is no where near as advanced as Huntington's. Personally, as long as the quality has no obvious flaws, I can get by and just watch the movie.
ReplyDeleteI think there's probably a balance somewhere. I mean, if a movie's shot distractingly badly, it's going to be hard to watch. But if the content's amazing and artistic then I don't think it's such a big deal. I think as long as there is good content, the quality of the cinematography doesn't have to be RED quality for it to be watchable or even HD. It's a nice plus but if it's a really good movie, I'll still watch it even if it was shot with an iPhone.
ReplyDeleteiPhone is HD lol
ReplyDelete