Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Remakes!

Point Break, Total Recall, Highlander, Dirty Dancing, The Crow, Robocop, Short Circuit and many more. What do these films have in common? A remake is coming out within the next two years. Remakes have become quite a norm in Hollywood these days and its not hard to understand why. Production companies know they can make loads of money off tons and tons of remakes. Once you attach a past title to a brand new movie, people start to notice. But the big problem with remakes is the director's, producer's, and writer's, combined consensus and belief that since the film worked the first time it must work the second time around.
I don't know about everyone else in the class, but 9 times out of ten, the original film is better in my opinion. For example, lets look at two remakes that just came out: Fright Night and Conan. Both of these do not even compare to their originals. The magic and unique feel is eliminated and replaced with an attempt to create a blockbuster. A footloose remake will also be released in theaters in exactly a month from today. I cannot say whether the movie is any good yet, but I have my predictions. The Thing has a remake coming out in the near future as well, and this is the third time around for this film. I suspect neither Footloose nor The Thing will beable to replicate the elements that audiences have enjoyed. And even if they can replicate important aspects of the film, the movie is still only a replicate itself.

I recently read this article on IMDb (International Movie Database) that stated 30 Original films have or will be released in theaters this year. 30! Every other movie is either a sequel, adaptation, or remake. The film industry is only giving the audience something they've already had the pleasure of enjoying. The fact is, storytelling is becoming an underrated area of the Hollywood film industry. Which is very ironic seeing as the purpose of filmingmaking is to tell stories.
I do not deny that certain remakes are absolutely fantastic like King Kong, True Lies, Ocean's Eleven, and 3:10 to Yuma. I think the reasons these films were very good was there ablity to give us something new or improved that works with the original storyline. For example, the remake of King Kong really makes you interested in the giant ape's emotions and troubles throughout the movie. By doing this, there are intimate moments involving the eight wonder that really work in the film. And sometimes a remake may surpass its original or deliver the same story in a completely different way. I have heard that Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the best remakes to come out in a long time but I have not seen it yet. I have also heard it exceeds every other Planet of the Apes film that has been released so far so I'm definitely interested in seeing it.
This is only what I think, what are your opinions on remakes?

10 comments:

  1. I'm like you... I never expect remakes to be any good. Though I like Ocean's 11, but at the same time it's not the same without the Rat Pack.

    Adding on to your list of remakes that will be coming out in the "near" future: The Great Gatsby and The Thin Man. I'm thrilled to hear that they are remaking The Great Gatsby, seeing how I didn't really enjoy the original. As for The Thin Man... I'm not too sure. Johnny Depp is the lead, so I feel like it should be good. Both of these remakes were originally books so maybe they won't be terrible as long as the follow the books.

    I think Hollywood should make remakes of movies that were unsuccessful. Hollywood could be really creative there instead of stealing success from a previously successful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm so upset to hear that they are remaking Footloose! I feel like everyone whose seen the original will be comparing Kenny Wormald to Kevin Bacon. I'm already not giving Kenny much of a chance to be great. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever we go into a movie, all expectations need to be out of sight and mind. Especially as filmmakers, it is essential that we eradicate all preconceived ideas about certain films including remakes. You're absolutely right, 9 times out of 10 the original is better than the remake but why is that? Because the original movie and our view of it is a preconceived notion making us expect more from the remake. Its important as the audience to view each movie as its own piece of work.
    Just as a side note True Grit was better than the original ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Which is very ironic seeing as the purpose of filmingmaking is to tell stories"

    One slight correction...the purpose of making films (from a Hollywood perspective) is to make money. Who can blame them. Look how much cash they pump into these things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey the new 'The Thing' movies is a 2nd remake. There was an original 1951 version.

    Also Rise of the Planet of the Apes isn't a remake. It's a Prequel.

    Also I wouldn't count Conan the Barbarian as a remake either because it is a total different story, (well I don't think it is). It's just the same character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planet of the Apes is an EXCELLENT remake. It takes all the plot holes in the original classics and makes it believable. Make sure you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and The Great Gatsby has already been remade once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes is excellent. I have it on a thumb drive if you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I hate remakes! It's almost as bad as sequels...sometimes. I agree that certain movies shouldn't be recreated, especially dirty dancing. Footloose doesn't bug me as much since I don't like the original in the first place so maybe the remake will tempt me enough to actually go see it.

    It's the idea of remaking something that someone already did years ago that is at times annoying. It's almost like they're saying the original wasn't good enough, so they have to remake it to appeal to the new crowd. Or to tempt them into watching the original but that could screw things up when someone likes the new version better then the original. (hopefully that made sense and I don't sound stupid)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.