Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Christine

Second one in a row tonight. I'm really not just making blog posts to try and keep my grade up. Seriously. Because no one's ever done that. Anyway, something else I watched over fall break was John Carpenter's "Christine." Horror movies are yet another thing very few DMA students here seem to like.
I would start off by saying we all have that one cheesy horror film we love to watch around Halloween, but I'm not sure if a whole lot of you do. Even so, this movie (like a lot of movies adapted from Stephen King books) is pretty cheesy. My opinion here may be biast because I read the book, or maybe it's just that I grew up watching this film and your opinions change as you get older.
Either way, I'll never be able to look at a Plymouth Fury the same way again. Christine is pretty much a car that drives its owner. It was the only car of its kind to be manufactured in red, and it's the only one to be manufactured with a personality. The previous owner of the car was possessed by it. Rather, I should be referring to this car as 'she'.
20 years later in 1978, someone else by the name of Arnold Cunningham comes across Christine in her very rusted and ancient condition. Despite his uptight parent's persisting, he fixes up the Plymouth, and very soon becomes consumed by the car. Nothing stops Christine. Even when a gang completely demolishes the car, Christine restores herself and hunts them all down. The acting in this film is very sub-par and when (if) you watch it, you can tell the actors are trying hard not to laugh. Hell, if I was told that in this scene I was to be as serious as possible while talking about a car that is alive, I would want to laugh too. All in all, it's a fun ride. And really, not all the acting is bad. As always, Carpenter delivers a bone chilling soundtrack. For those of you that watched it, you would know that he did the soundtrack to Halloween (no, not the 2006 shitfest that Rob Zombie created.) This scene always creeped me out:


And then of course to follow up that scene (keep in mind this car operates itself):


Funny thing about this scene. I actually had a nightmare when where I was the one that was being chased. Weird, because this movie never creeped me out THAT bad. But still, it was one scary nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.