Hey guys I've been wanting to post about this for awhile, but I thought it might not fit with the nature of the class. But then I realized, the Music industry is just apart of Digital Media Arts as any other medium. So what the heck, here it goes:
Have any of you heard of a band called MUTEMATH? If not, I recommend you click on there name, and see what's cookin'! MUTEMATH is legitimately the most innovative band I've ever seen come through the music industry pipeline. They are constantly pushing their art in ways that stretch the imagination and definition of "genre". They stay committed to their artistic freedom, and it has garnered them an beyond loyal fan base and respect from the industry. But little does anyone know that this band is actually formed from the remnant of a band called EARTHSUIT which was a CCM band from 2000-2003. The band had a quick wind, breaking up after only having released one album under Sparrow Records. Then the groups rap artist, Paul Meany, and the drummer, Darren King started to talk about creating a new project to venue their talent through. The started to communicating back and forth sending each other various samples and collaborating on different pieces. Eventually the band MUTEMATH was formed. They were originally set to be released under Warner Bros., but were instead released to the Christian sub-label division of WB, Word Records.
MUTEMATH, not wanting a repeat of EARTHSUIT sued WB for violation of contract, and they went off on their own self-made label, Teleprompt, to see how they could do on there own. BEST DECISION THEY EVER MADE. The quickly gained a large fan base selling 10,000 copies of their self-titled debut album in the first month of their tour. Mutemath landed on the covers of Billboard, and Pollstar, being featured in Alternative Press, Paste, and Spin as well as on the MTV News program 'You Hear It First'. They made such an impressive mark on the music scene that Warner Bros. renegotiated their contract and professionally re-mixed & re-released their Debut album under them! Since then, MUTEMATH has released an EP, and two full-length albums: Amistice (2009) and just recently Odd Soul (Oct. 4). PLEASE TREAT YOURSELF and click on THIS LINK for a unique and interactive music video treat for their single "Odd Soul" from their new album. Maybe it's just my preferences, but I think this band is doing great things in the world of music and art for that matter. I am excited to see what more they'll have to bring to the table in the future.
And now I will leave you with their first music video which was of their hit single "Typical". Which is ironic, because the song and video is anything but.
I think...you need...a bigger picture.
ReplyDeletesaid...
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more ;)