Saturday, October 22, 2011

Story and Image





I've been thinking about the videos we've watched in class recently, and immediately, the first thing that comes to mind is either that tune that the owl was humming in "the Owl and the Raven" or the lullaby the wolf was humming in "Tale of Tales." The next thing that comes to mind are the images of the animations, and I remember what Prof. Leeper said briefly in class, "Story is image."





I don't think there is any story that exists independent of an image; It may not even be possible to try and think of one. If I say "I lost my phone the other day while riding my bike to the science hall," that immediately conjures up an image of that statement in action. The statement becomes an image, which is how it is understood, and the image can become a statement, like when someone summarizes a film that they saw- they pull from the image understanding and then communicate that understanding through words so that someone else can derive the image.





This also reminded me of something we talked about in my Philosophy class just recently; A Causal Principle for ideas. According to this, The cause of an idea must have at least as much formal reality as there is presentational reality in the idea. I can't quite explain it very well, but it's part of a meditation by Descartes in which he presents the well-known theory, "I think, therefore, I exist." An example we used is the idea of a horse- The idea itself and its existence is dependent upon the existence of the person having the idea. Because this person can think, doubt, decide, and have an idea, they exist. I know this doesn't completely tie in to what this blog started with, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.