Long story short, three friends and I went to the movie expecting to see a certain movie. To our dismay the movie had sold out before we got there. I'm not really sure why, but for some reason seeing a movie at that theater right then became the most important thing in the world. We had to choose between the movie 50/50 and What's Your Number. We should have left.
We chose What's Your Number, assuming that it would be a nice, R rated, romantic comedy. Even as I'm sitting here now I cringe at the fact that the marketers got the best of us so easily.
I'm not going to give a review of the film because honestly I don't remember much about it. All I remember was how I hated the way that women were portrayed in it. The movie made it seem ok to have sex with 20 different guys and then later search for "the one" in those 20 guys. I think a lot of romantic comedies do that now; they make the main character's characteristics or lifestyle desirable to the audience. Maybe it's just me, but usually when I watch a romantic comedy I want to be like the leading lady in someway. Even in older movies this is true for me. Especially when watching Breakfast at Tiffany's, I mean, who wouldn't want to be Holly Golightly?
I believe that it's obvious that any movie you see will effect you in one way or another, big or small. What's not so obvious is exactly what the movie effects. I'm so used to people talking about how a movie effected them spiritually, emotionally, etc. I've always assumed that I didn't need to think about how a movie effects me because I've already been told how it effects me. It just dawned on me how much a movie effects my self-image. I don't think I'm effected majorly, but overtime I'm sure it does damage. When I was little I wanted to be Pocahontas, when I got older I wanted to be Mary-Kate, and now I don't really want to be anyone exactly, but I'm influenced by many movie characters (new and old).
I wonder though, how many young girls watched What's Your Number and want to be like Ally Darling? I wonder how many girls have watched a romantic comedy and wished that they could be more like the main character?
Perhaps this is why I don't gravitate toward romantic comedies in movie theaters. I don't like being forced into liking the main character and hating a guy character and then loving the couple in the end.
Oooh! I want to be Holly Golightly! But... You probably already guessed that. I think you're really right about this. I mean, looking at my little cousins in Texas, 2 years ago they wanted to be Hannah Montana.
ReplyDelete