Thursday, November 10, 2011

Top 10 Movies I Hate the Most

7: The Day the Earth Stood Still

      I actually don't remember much about this film. And usually I'm pretty good about remembering films. Even the ones I don't like. That's how little an impact this film made on me. It was so boring, my brain didn't bother encoding any of this into long term memory. (See, I know a little about psychology).
     The film's story is simple. Human beings are destroying the planet, so an alien, played by Keanu Reeves in his most emotionally expressive role,lol, is sent to ensure humans are wiped off the face of the earth. The alien meets a family, has a change of heart, and stops the coming apocalypse. Simple and unmemorable.
     There's just not much going on in this movie to hold your interest. The characters may engage if your standards of engagement are low. The plot simply plods along as we wait for something of interest to happen and nothing does until the climax. While I understand build-up (that's what made Jaws work so well), if you have nothing interesting to show for the first hour and a half, the film has serious flaws.
     My two biggest problems with this film, aside from boredom, are the films message and the ending. I've heard the whole global warming speel a million times and it's getting really old. One group insists the whole world will burn to ash in a few years if we don't cut down on civilization, while the other side says it's not nearly as bad as all that. Let's just say, I don't buy much of anything people say on global warming. I mean, Al Gore is investing millions in green companies so he can profit when they sell their green products and lives in three different mega-mansions. Same with virtually all the politicians and celebrities who talk so much about this. So obviously they have no reason to lie right? Yeah right. Anyway, the film picked this message and, of course, I'm sick of it. So it lost me right there.
     The other issue is the ending. How does the film end? The alien destroys the device that will kill all humans because one family says they will change. Regardless of your views on global warming, this is a stupid ending. If one Nazi had said he would not kill Jews anymore, would we assume anything significant will happen? Would Jews stop dying in Germany? I doubt it.
      Simply put, this is a boring, preachy film with a terrible ending and nothing to engage you. That's my opinion anyway. If you must, watch the older version. I hear that one is better. Besides, since when can Hollywood, except on rare occasions, make good remakes?

Final Thoughts:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.