Monday, November 14, 2011

The twisted life of Robert Crumb

Dysfunctional. Odd. Eccentric. Troubled. Those are just a few first impressions that can come from getting inside the head of the animator Robert Crumb. In his smiling face you see something not nice to look at. After spending a couple hours learning about this man I felt....dirty. Like I had gone a little way down the path that he took. Not the most pleasant feeling. I wonder if Crumb even feels how lost he really is. His art style is a very nice, very neat style but what he chooses to draw, to me, feels more like he is simply releasing his own twisted sexual desires while trying to make it say something. For others it may be interesting, but for me it was just too much. He is a loveless man....and he does't seem to think that their is anything wrong with that. Its disturbing. Its not a path I am ready to explore...because whether we like it or not we see what we could become in the face of Robert Crumb.
One thing I noticed is that he constantly laughs. Normally that's not a bad thing but it seems to show how he treats life. He waves over it. He isn't seeing truly everything that is there. He sees some in depth things about culture but in his own life he seems so void of any knowledge of the terrible choices he has made.
Its just hard for me to grasp. I need to think about it more.
However, he is someone we need to reach out to...because I truly think Robert Crumb is hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.