When I first found out how it was made and what all claymation involved, I was amazed, and than shocked that somebody would take so much time on a film. This excites me for the future when I get to take that class offered here at Huntington.
CHEESE! I couldn't resist. I couldn't find anymore videos on youtube of this adorable movie sadly.
One reason I love Wallace and Gromit is how smart the dog is versus the human. Wallace isn't the brightest cookie but he seems to depend on Gromit for things, like making breakfast ;)
Another claymation film that I love is Chicken Run.
Anybody else like these films? :)
Yeeesssss! I grew up on Wallace & Gromit, those guys are my heroes. I remember being like 6 years old and I was best friends with Professor Webb's oldest son, I would stay the night over there and we'd watch Wallace & Gromit all night. I was so pumped when the movie came out.
ReplyDeleteGreat example of why the uncanny valley is no good. I loved the stop-motion animation in Wallace & Gromit because you were constantly aware that they everything you saw was made of clay. With that constant reminder, it even registers as more impressive because of how many times you think to yourself, "this is just clay moving!"
ReplyDeleteIn a movie like Polar Express, a certain part of my brain forgets entirely that what I'm watching is animated and the process is so complicated and beyond me that I barely even give it any recognition, even though it is in fact high-quality work.
Exactly! I used to think that the characters had strings attached to them and thats how they moved...thats how my 5 year old brain worked. I'd watch it over and over again just to concentrate on how it's only clay!
ReplyDeleteKind of like how simple the concept of filming with sand can be this strenuous task that makes an awesome film!