
A couple of weeks ago, I went with a group of students and professors to Indy to see a professional production of
Julius Caesar. As far as I remember, this was the first time I've seen Shakespeare done professionally, and I found the experience to be completely worthwhile. I was somewhat surprised to find that the play was done with modern dress. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks of elaborate, lacy costumes when the name Shakespeare is spoken. But there was an open discussion with the cast after the show and someone brought up the question as to why they wore contemporary clothing. The Roman senators all wore business suits, and when the play shifted to war, they had contemporary military uniforms. The cast replied that it was Shakespeare's intent that whenever his plays were performed, that they would be done in a way that would connect to the audience. Obviously, we don't use old english, but the language of the text must remain unchanged, so what better way to facilitate in the understanding of the play by putting the characters in our clothing? And the beauty of it is, it's not just our clothing. If the play was done in Saudi Arabia, they probably wouldn't be wearing suits. Perhaps with film, there is not such a great need to connect with a modern audience that exists for a Shakespearean play, but we should still be mindful that we don't want to get so caught up in our craft that they can't follow.
That's an interesting concept of having the play relate to the audience by having contemporary dress. Maybe that's the mentality behind many of those "modern" shakespeare stories that take place in a contemporary setting? (E.g. Hamlet(with Ethan Hawke and Julia Stiles) or Romeo and Juliet (with Leonardo De Caprio).
ReplyDelete