Friday, December 2, 2011

Of all the gin-joints in all the towns of all the world...she walks into mine.


Yeah for World War II propaganda movies!
Casablanca, a 1942 picture with eight nominations and three awards including Best Director Michael Curtiz, Best Screenplay Julius J. Epstien, Philip G. Epstien and Howard Koch , and Best Picture!
And Max Steiner also got an nomination for best musical score. Max Steiner also wrote the score for the original King Kong movie!

I don't wanna give away any of the plot for those of you who haven't seen it because you really should see it!

Its just classic, classic Hollywood filmmaking. It was one of nine picture that Warner Brothers released that year.
Disclaimer for my opening sentence. It wasn't written to be a propaganda film put that was kinda the way it played out. Apparently the screenplay was first read by Warner Bros on the day that Pearl Harbor was attacked but I don't know if quite by that. That seems a little too dramatic, but stranger things have happened.


I know a lot of things about the plot in Casablanca can seem romantically loose, if you know what I mean. Back then they used to have censors about those kind of things! They were called the Hayes Code Censors. One very big no-no was extra-maratial relations.

But at the end, there's just...grrr I can't go any farther without spoiling the ending.

[*****SPOLIER ALERT!!!*****]

There. That's better.

Rick is the owner of Rick's Cafe Americano in Casablanca, Morocco. There he meets his old love Ilsa who is married to this French Underground Activist for the war. (When they met however, she thought her husband Victor, was dead. That is why she let the relationship get as far as she did. But she finds out Victor really isn't dead and goes back to him
Victor and Ilsa are trying desperately to get out of Casablanca before Victor is arrested. Of course, Rick helps him escape.

I can't help but respect Rick for practically demanding Ilsa to go with Victor at the end and leave him behind.
I really respect the selflessness that that took, because she was willing to stay in Casablanca with Rick.
"If that plane leaves and you're not with him, you'll regret. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."




"Here's looking at you, Kid."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.