Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Recently I watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have to say I am a big fan of the trilogy and sometimes an Indiana Jones movie is more of a comedic experience than a dramatic one! Harrison Ford is good at that
However, there was one aspect of the movie that I hadn't thought about as much.
The aspect of God.
This is going a bit too far but feel like God was almost like a monster image in the movie.
I mean He does kinda melt everyone's face off in the end.....
except for Indiana and Marian because they didn't look.
At first I feel like, "What! You can't portray God like that! People are going to get the wrong idea! God isn't a monster!"
But on the OTHER hand I feel like some of that stuff isn't too much off the track from Exodus and Genesis and the rest of the Bible. Maybe its in 1 Samuel? but there is an instance where the Ark is being carried over the Jordan River?? but anyway it begins to slip and some guy reaches up to stabilize it and HE DIES!!!!!! Drops like a sack of potatoes! And he wasn't even trying to hurt the Ark! He was just trying to protect it! But I guess God doesn't need help from nobody!
I mean let's get real here! There is a lot of passages in the Bible where its like "Holy!" God really is.. holy and really big and really scary. Sometimes HE's not the kind of God you just wanna cuddle up too...more like run away in the opposite direction and beg for mercy.
The concept of Holiness is a key concept to grasp before you can get the concept of grace.
I mean it sounds kinda mean but really!
I mean if you think God is like this ancient grandpa in the sky whose should have keeled over centuries ago by the looks of him its like"Oh...yay! Grace... gee thanks Granps! Glad you still kicking! Anything I can do for you?"
BUT, if you look at God, like a God! In Isaiah there is this passage where it talks about the throne room of God and there is wearing this huge robe with a train that filled the Temple ( I think, symbolically, the longer the train is the more you are respected and considered to have real power and authority. And there is smoke and these really kinda creepy looking things with wings and multiple eyes, and each of them have a different animal's head like a lion or eagle. And these beings are around the Throne covering themselves up with they're wings chanting, "Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy." They do this all the time! LIKE RIGHT NOW! "Holy, Holy, Holy"
Isaiah just flips out because he knows he is filthy compared to this.
Getting Grace from this God is a big deal! I mean he could easily just make you dissapear, zap you, nothing left but a little pile of ashes.
but the really cool thing is He doesn't
God is God. I love the verse in Jeremiah? where God says something like "Can a nursing mother forget her child? Even if she could I will surely not forget you."
The old rugged cross is an unfathomable mystery when you see it with a perfectly Holy, All-Mighty God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.