Sunday, December 4, 2011

What was that about?

 
I wasn't able to find much redeeming quality to the short film with the ghost plumber. I just don't know what part was supposed to make me care about the little girl, her mom, or any of the other characters. So they show up to close their house. The husband is a deadbeat. Things are rough on them. But, uh-oh, there are “winter people” living in their house. Big deal. What the filmmakers gave us is the beginning of a story that's gets severed as it's starting to pick up and they call it an ending. Either that or it has a split personality. Is the story about the girl and her mom or the old storekeeper and his dead son? Call me pretentious, but I don't think they thought this through very well.

I know it's not an easy thing trying to write a screenplay, much less a good one, but what message were they trying to convey? I don't know the answer to that. Unless they intended ambiguity (which I doubt, since when that happens, you can tell when things are meant to be open ended), the film came off as not knowing what it wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.