Sunday, December 4, 2011

While I'm at it with Star Wars...



As much as I do love Star Wars, I have to admit, it's pretty fun to parody it. And who in recent memory has done a better job at that than Family Guy? Perhaps in the TV show they've been losing their comedic touch lately or else they're just running out of ideas, but the parodies of the original Star Wars trilogy have been spot on. They've taken nearly every conceivable flaw in the series and exploited it for laughs. As much as I try, I can never see the original movies the same way again, but that's alright with me.

It's truly remarkable how much we as audience members love to see a parody. Even when they're not done well, people still flock to go see the latest flick in a never ending series of spoofs on a particular genre. I swear they use a formula to get that crap out as fast as possible. Will we need to get to Scary Movie 20 before people get sick of cheap entertainment? Would it kill them to take a little more effort to make a parody that's actually worth remembering 30+ years from now? Of course, it's not likely to change as long as there's a whole lot of money to be made. Ok, and maybe I'm being too hard on these kind of movies; perhaps they fill some sort of psychological need that higher art doesn't heed, but at least give us the option of seeing some more parodies that have sharp wit and solid story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.