Hello my name is Matthew Burris and I’m a film production major. I need to introduce myself, but you should read it as I have to force myself into introduction. I tend to keep to myself. I don’t like to believe anyone would or should be interested in who I am, but over the time I’ve spent wandering (a number of years) I’ve learned letting people see what’s inside isn’t such a bad thing. But how to start, where are the words?
The awesome part about art is that you don’t necessarily need the words. You can just point people in the right direction and they’ll pick up on what you’re getting at. For a good baseline on me I recommend listening to The Answer by Blue October, that’ll give you the basic foundation. So let’s start building up. When I was a little kid I believed that Hollywood was this far off land where, if you were a good enough filmmaker, they’d let you make Terminator 2. Literally, that’s what I thought. Not make your own movie as good as, or make a remake, but make the same movie with the same people in the same way. As the years moved on I came to understand how the film business actually worked. While still in elementary I became obsessed with John Carpenter’s Halloween. It scared me like no other movie and I wanted to understand why. So every day after school for a couple of weeks I’d sit down and watch it. It’s the first time I’ve ever studied a film, and I kind of regret it. It’s hard to enjoy a film when the events in it are all burned into your memory. My parents took me to Ghostbusters 2 for the first film I’d see in a movie theater. (At one point I got startled and threw my popcorn three or four rows behind me. I had no idea what had happened, and couldn’t figure out where my popcorn went.) During this time I also remember watching Star Wars with my father as being a big deal to me. Some nights when I couldn’t sleep I’d sneak downstairs and he’d be up too watching something. In fact, I’d say that’s where my interest in films stems from. (I just realized that while writing this…trippy.)
So there you go, I’m fundamentally science-fiction, horror, fantasy, and comedy based with some cult seasoning sprinkled on top. How did I end up here? Like I said I spent some time wandering. During this time I was very unhappy. I was working a job I hated and in truth I hated myself. It got so bad I ended up losing 40 pounds. In less than a year I went from size 36 pants to size 30. Posted is a short I made during this period. It’s hard showing this, I can barely watch it. I’m sensitive about it because it’s just one big hunk of me skinned off and put on display. I suppose if I’m going to force myself into introduction I might as well go all the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKj5KjODsk
I had shot a number of home movies with my brothers but had never thought of it as a career path. Then I started getting involved with a number of productions in areas around and in Fort Wayne. I even spent a year developing a new method for color correction. I got married, we moved, we moved again, and now here I am.
The awesome part about art is that you don’t necessarily need the words. You can just point people in the right direction and they’ll pick up on what you’re getting at. For a good baseline on me I recommend listening to The Answer by Blue October, that’ll give you the basic foundation. So let’s start building up. When I was a little kid I believed that Hollywood was this far off land where, if you were a good enough filmmaker, they’d let you make Terminator 2. Literally, that’s what I thought. Not make your own movie as good as, or make a remake, but make the same movie with the same people in the same way. As the years moved on I came to understand how the film business actually worked. While still in elementary I became obsessed with John Carpenter’s Halloween. It scared me like no other movie and I wanted to understand why. So every day after school for a couple of weeks I’d sit down and watch it. It’s the first time I’ve ever studied a film, and I kind of regret it. It’s hard to enjoy a film when the events in it are all burned into your memory. My parents took me to Ghostbusters 2 for the first film I’d see in a movie theater. (At one point I got startled and threw my popcorn three or four rows behind me. I had no idea what had happened, and couldn’t figure out where my popcorn went.) During this time I also remember watching Star Wars with my father as being a big deal to me. Some nights when I couldn’t sleep I’d sneak downstairs and he’d be up too watching something. In fact, I’d say that’s where my interest in films stems from. (I just realized that while writing this…trippy.)
So there you go, I’m fundamentally science-fiction, horror, fantasy, and comedy based with some cult seasoning sprinkled on top. How did I end up here? Like I said I spent some time wandering. During this time I was very unhappy. I was working a job I hated and in truth I hated myself. It got so bad I ended up losing 40 pounds. In less than a year I went from size 36 pants to size 30. Posted is a short I made during this period. It’s hard showing this, I can barely watch it. I’m sensitive about it because it’s just one big hunk of me skinned off and put on display. I suppose if I’m going to force myself into introduction I might as well go all the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKj5KjODsk
I had shot a number of home movies with my brothers but had never thought of it as a career path. Then I started getting involved with a number of productions in areas around and in Fort Wayne. I even spent a year developing a new method for color correction. I got married, we moved, we moved again, and now here I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.