Thursday, September 15, 2011

suckquels

Thanks to a recent post about remakes, I decided to write about sequels. Please tell me there is someone out in the world that is as annoyed as me in Disney constantly making sequels to classic movies...

A couple months ago, I started listening to a Disney podcast that would discuss certain movies and the sequels...there was not a single person on that podcast that enjoyed a Disney sequel...so whats the point of making them?
With some films, you want to know the continuing story instead of what you have created in your head that you hope actually happened.
For example, Lion King (my favorite movie). When it ended, you automatically assume they live happily ever after because it's a Disney movie. A few years later, they decided that the Lion King story wasn't finished and created....
Shame shame Disney. The movie wasn't as bad as it could've been, but as the podcast people explained, it was basically the same story as the first one. 
And although the 3rd Lion King movie didn't bug me as much (Lion King 1 1/2), it was very random. 

Another ridiculous sequel was Bambi II. I haven't seen it, but the thought was comical in my mind. (anyone seen it?)
 Why does Disney insist on going back to certain characters pasts and filling in the blanks that didn't need to be filled?

Now, I'm technically going to be arguing with myself when I say, Pixar knows how to make a sequel! 
As weird as this is probably going to seem, I prefer some of the Pixar sequels to the originals. I was never a huge fan of Toy Story (don't hate me....) but the 2nd one is my favorite with the 3rd close behind. 
I have yet to see Cars 2, but i've heard it's better then the first, which was my reaction to the Toy Story trilogy. Has anyone else heard about how Toy Story 4 is a possibility? Pardon me while I write Pixar a note....Toy Story 3's ending was amazing and a great CONCLUSION to the story. 
[This topic gets me frustrated sometimes...;) ]

What is everyone's opinion on Disney sequels? or Pixar?

10 comments:

  1. Cars 2 is way worse then the first. The Cars movies are the worst Pixar films in my opinion. Pixar is so good at telling stories and developing characters but didn't do that well at all with Cars 2! Also I always enjoyed Cars but it still isn't as great as some other Pixar films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. Not a huge fan of the Cars films. I'm more of the Finding Nemo/Monsters Inc fan. If they make a Finding Nemo sequel, I'm going to be very disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though you have to admit the Toy Story series is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't have given III the Academy but it was still a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think they got the award just because it was Pixar and the fact that Pixar has won every time they were nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Lion King sequels! Though I'm pretty sure I just love the sequels because I love the first one so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally Don't compare Pixar to Disney at all since they are two pretty separate groups of people. No matter what, every Disney sequel is crap, seriously never seen a good sequel come out of there.
    I hear there's to be a Monsters Inc. 2. But it's about monster college which sounds interesting. I haven't seen Cars 2 yet but, out of all the Pixar movies, Cars to me is like the sell out movie. It had the most little minisode things and most merch. It wasn't my most favorite either.
    Pixar just seems to focus on a good story more then anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard about the Monsters Inc. 2 too...I don't like the fact that it's going to be a prequel instead of an actual sequel...I wanted to see Boo all grown up :)

    I know I shouldn't compare Disney to Pixar but I couldn't help it...they're totally different but they're together...confusing yes lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pixar is its own company but Disney has a contract to distribute there films. When you work for Pixar you first and foremost work for Pixar...not Disney. You are not considered to be in Disney Animation (I know this because Disney employees have a website called the HUB and its how you get paid and stuff, so I was able to look around at other sections of Disney)
    Honestly I thought Bambi 2 (although no where near as good as the first) was one of the better sequels to come out. Mostly I pretend that they don't exist. Its a money making thing really. Disney has unfortunately gotten a little greedy lately. But little kids love these sequels so they make more. Cars 2 was just.....bad honestly. Cars was the weakest Pixar film yet and the sequel topped it on the weaker scale. I have confidence that Pixar can pull out a great Monster's Inc. sequel though. Look up the next pixar film "BRAVE" it looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is a money making thing. I didn't like the first Bambi (so far, i've been naming what I don't like...i promise I don't hate all Disney movies...I'm just good at pointing out which ones I don't like instead of the opposite) but that was mostly because I cried with his mother died.

    WOW! I don't remember who told me Cars 2 was better then the first one but i'm starting to wonder why they thought it was good. Maybe Animation majors just know whats good ;)

    I keep forgetting to look up Brave! I'm doing that right now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pretty much stopped watching Disney movies at a young age. That's why I like Pixar so much. Many of their movies appeal to children and adults. By far, my favorite movie was "Up." It was funny, amazing, and is the only of their movies that made my eyes red.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.