Whoa man! What a great film! Historical significance. Depth of characters. And nothing excessive. That's what was going through my mind throughout the film. Why is it that so many instances of violence, sexuality, and language are used in excess in the pre-packaged, commercialized Hollywood film? And here you had a film that had every opportunity to have excessive violence and epic fight scenes, and they didn't. They focused on the integrity of the story, the world they were bringing us into, and the characters that the story revolved around. Everything was done in conservative portions.
Being partial to cinematography, I found the camera movement and lighting composition very befitting of the film. I think they must have chosen to shoot on tungsten balanced film stock, because I this was shot before digital grading was around. This is gave the film such a "blue" tint, especially in all of the exterior scenes or ones shot by windows. I also found the use of aerial shots to be very effective to give the audience member a sense that they're in a time of civil unrest. And by the way they keep cutting back to it in the exteriors, it would seem as if that helicopter was ever-present among the action taking place in the film.
I also gained some historical knowledge too. I really had no idea about what was going on in Europe when I was 3 years old. So, i got the treat of getting to see that world I was unaware of through a cinematic lens. I am truly amazed how much hatred there was among people that look the same, and in for all intense and purposes sound the same to an American. I got to see a culture in where religion, politics, and ethnic identity were seamlessly woven together, so much so that if you were protestant that meant you were against the IRA's cause. I don't think I could ever imagine living under a state of unrest in this nation, until something like that actually happens here.
Overall, great film. Everything was done with the intention of moving the story along. I'd recommend it to my friends, and if you didn't get a chance to see it tonight, try to see it!
Also, on a side note, this was my first Day-Lewis film I've seen in which he wasn't sporting a mustache!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.