Thursday, October 13, 2011

The man who planted more than trees...


Wow what an awe-inspiring masterpiece by Frédéric Back. You can tell he poured his Heart and Soul in to this story. I think that this film really couldn't give a more clear and concise Christian message. The work of one committed individual throughout his lifetime was able to exemplify the power of God in a seemingly remedial task. He was able to turn a desolate landscape, filled with pain, suffering, suicide and unspeakable acts, into a beautiful, lively, and flourishing landscape by simply planting trees. Now it is true that this is a fictitious tale. And it is sorta told in a fairytale, but I think we can all think of individuals, who by being committed to doing small (and some would say pointless) tasks have changed the world around them. Ghandi anyone? Oh yeah, there was that Jesus guy too. I have to say this is empowering. Let's just forget the environmentalist aspect to the dialogue, and just focus on the power of an individual.

What if we all just committed ourselves to smiling and saying "hi" to someone new everyday? What would our world look like?

Maybe I'm an idealist, but I think our world would look radically different! It doesn't take the "great" people to do something great in this world. It's the ordinary individuals that have a mission in there life, and hold it true to their integrity, that really end up making this barren and desolate world a more beautiful place. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, the text formatting is got weird on me, please excuse the large text, I'm not trying to yell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! It's a parable. It not about the literal aspects. It's not about the trees, it's about the action. It's how any small actions, with a bit of deliberate intent, can add up over time.

    In DMA terms, don't make commercial-whore movies. Make a number of well crafted movies (as well crafted as his acorns were well selected) and you may accomplish what some only thought God could do.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.