Monday, November 7, 2011

Vintage Electronics


NOTE: I originally bought this on October 27.

Finally. I finally have something to blog about that I really want to actually blog about. So after leaving psychology today, (I'm totally failing that class), I decided to hop in my Saturn and head to GoodWill. Just a typical monotonous day, I thought, probably wasn't going to find anything good. And I was right.
There really wasn't anything there that I hadn't already seen. Except for one thing. About a week ago, I saw a Major Eight Track Stereo Multiplex just sitting on the shelf. The price tag was for twenty bucks. At the time that I discovered it, I didn't have the funds to buy it. Besides, it didn't even come with speakers.
Well today, I finally gave in to it's thirty five year old pleas for help, shoved out 20 big ones, and bought it. I also bought a Cheap Trick eight track for only twenty five cents. I was filled with great euphoria after knowing that I can add this to my multitude of vintage electronics. Everyone has quirks or weird hobbies. Mine happens to be vintage electronics. From Pong machines, to the Atari 2600, to Commodore Computers, I enjoy trying to find them all. Anyhow, onward with the telling of the eight track. After many a strange glance and annoying amused smirks from my fellow colleagues, I made it back to my room to gawk over my find. Seriously, screw my generation with it's twitbook and facetube in all it's social mobility.Eight tracks are where it's at. I would have done better growing up in a different era.
Now, I don't know if you experienced the eight track players much Leeper, because I don't really know if your generation used cassettes or eight tracks more. I'm probably gonna assume cassettes here, because eight tracks weren't exactly dependable. I do know that my parents' generation, the people who were teens in the 70s, did have these. As a matter of fact, my dad had one in his Chevy Nova back in the mid 70s. If it wasn't for the fact that someone stole it out of his car, I would probably be the proud heir of it today.






























As you can see, this multiplex has both an AM/FM radio and a slot for eight track cassettes. It was manufactured by Major. I did some searching, and by searching, I mean googling the name of my eight track player to see what came up, and couldn't find a date for it. Judging by the wood grain and knobs, I want to say around the late seventies. I know it probably isn't a rare model. Then again, this is the first Major product I've ever owned. Most of my turn tables or boomboxes are produced by the major companies such as Sony, Panasonic, or Emerson.


The piece de resistance of this ancient beast has to be the way the face glows. While the glow looks blue in this picture, it is actually an awesome green color, similar to the color of Christine's radio. Below is how the selector for the eight track cassette looks in the dark. So yeah, I'm completely stoked that I finally have one of these babies. Now to find some decent speakers so I can annoy my floor with my music (I'm sure I do that already).







3 comments:

  1. Nice GoodWill find! Vintage electronics are the best.. especially when you can find them so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go through the records you will sometimes find LaserDiscs and even ECDs. Look that one up, it's cool. I currently own one of the first home vhs cameras that I got from Goodwill as well as a The Shining laser disc. Once had to pass up a Raiders ECD which was a sad day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do know about the ECD format, and I would kill to get my hands on some.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.