"I have this condition."
Wow... I just watched Christopher Nolan's
Memento for the first time and I don't even know what to think. Without spoiling anything, the movie is about a man, named Leonard Shelby, who suffers from not having a short term memory as he tries to figure out who is the responsible for the death of his wife by using pictures and tattoos to help him remember. The really interesting aspect of this film is that the plot is presented to the audience
backwards, rather than the traditional chronological order of events. This unique way of editing the film is really why it is so amazing. The audience is confused at first because one of the first shots of the film is the main character killing someone for no reason at all. But as the film progresses you realize everything is going backwards yet you are learning
more about the characters and their motivations behind their actions. Guy Pearce plays his role as Leonard exceptionally well as I frequently found myself entranced by his determination of trying to find out who killed his wife. I won't spoil the ending but looking back throughout the film there are many subtle clues that imply the true murderer of Leonard's wife. That's what is so great about this movie too, because it will take multiple viewings (for me at least) to fully understand and catch the clues of the film. Bottom line, Christopher Nolan's brilliant
Memento is a must-watch!
my favorite Nolan film thus far. What a mind bender.
ReplyDelete